RESEARCH, PRACTICE AND TEACHING
Gemma lectures in immersive theatre and teaches devising, based on her own practice with Shunt, Berlin-Nevada and as a solo director. She collaborates with other artists on many research projects, especially focussing on formal development of the relationship between the artist and the audience.
Most recently work:
- Birmingham University (a series of workshops and panels based around her show at the RSC - Interregnum, Research through Practice)
- Cambridge University (on Zoe Svendsen's new game-based project based around new economic structures and climate change - We Know Not What We May Be)
- Central School of Speech and Drama (a four day workshop for MA students on devising methods for performers)
LAMDA (2014/16) : MA
- workshop on experiential theatre for MA directing students.
CENTRAL SCHOOL OF SPEECH AND DRAMA (2008 - 17) : MA
- four day workshop for MA students on devising methods for actors
- mentor for MA site-specific shows and dissertation projects.
- course taught with Melanie Wilson and Wendy Hubbard: Working from Historical Source Material.
- course taught with Hannah Ringham: Working with an audience as a solo performer.
- course taught with Silvia Mercuriali: Inside/Outside: Performance in Public Spaces. (also taught in Tel Aviv)
ITALIA CONTI (2004 - 15) : BA
- directed third year show - Time and the Conways.
- workshops on devising for BA acting students.
- director of contextual studies course for 1st - 3rd years (2005-6).
NATIONAL CENTRE FOR CIRCUS ARTS (2015) : BA
- workshop on Shunt and immersive theatre for BA circus students.
- week-long devising workshop based on Buster Keaton’s The General.
FOURTH MONKEY (2014 - 15) : BA
- directed BA students in first year devising project.
CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY / rose bruford / brunel university / c.s.s.d / shunt / fourth monkey
lecturing and taking part in research projects and panels on collaborative and immersive theatre.
BAC (2013 -14) : 15 - 25 year olds
- workshops on experiential theatre for BAC YPT.